Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tarzan ... and misty Bryce mountains




As promised, something sensual and beautiful ... Tarzan, in fact. You know, Tarzan wasn't born at the age of 30! He grew up in the rainforest, and there was a time he was 18, and, uh ... yeah. Have you ever read the Tarzan stories -- the original ones? They're amazing. In its day, this must have been right out there on the leading edge of fantasy.

So here's a young Tarzan, and what's spectacular about these shots (from my perspective) is the WATER! None of that is a preset. I made that water from scratch. You create a primitive -- a plain. You give it a color, set the transparency ... give in a displacement map so it ripples ... set the reflectivity, and so on. You create a ground plane underneath it, so you can see through it. That effect is terrific ... sooo realistic, and so beautiful.

See the reflections and the ripples? Click to view these at 800 pixels wide, and you'll get a better view of what I mean!

The other thing I've been doing is playing in Bryce. All the above are DAZ renders, but these are Bryce:


And again, I am soooo pleased with this, because nothing is a preset. The misty mountain landscape was done from scratch, using about 8 terrains, all made by me.  

2024 edit: I could wish the Bryce engine were faster. It's a neat engine, but even with a big, powerful computer, it's so clunky, I can barely get it to work. At the same time as which, you can get into the other landscape generator and do things in Terragen that will astonish. I did these a couple of years ago, and ... sigh. I do like Bryce, I just don't have the time to fuss about with it...





Jade, September 23